Job Description: A brief statement of the position, including the general job duties.
- Supervises department staff responsible for carrying out the Mission and Supporting Commitments of Eisenhower Health. Plans, directs, organizes and controls activities of the department to provide inpatient, outpatient, and ambulatory evidence-based clinical education, in-services, and compliance-related education, and Professional Development Activities. Develops and leads the Eisenhower Health Leadership Academy. Leads and functions as a change agent for organization initiatives, Joint Commission, projects, and compliance readiness teams related to Professional Practice.
- Chief Nursing Officer, Vice President Patient Care Services and indirectly to Vice President of the Ambulatory Division
- Project & Sr. Project Coordinators, Directors of Education, RN Clinical Educator/Informaticist, RN Clinical Nurse Specialist, other employees as assigned
Ages of Patients
Blood Borne Pathogens
- Moderate Potential
- Minimal/ No Potential
- Required: Master’s degree in Nursing
- Preferred: DNP or PhD
- Required: California RN licensure, National certification appropriate for leadership or education (or obtain within 1 year of hire)
- Required: 8 years in related nursing position, with progressive leadership experience
- Preferred: 5 years of educational development and/or management in an acute care or ambulatory facility.
- Representative knowledge, skills and abilities of Nursing Professional Development per the ANA Scope and Standards required.
Specific Skills, Knowledge, Abilities Required
- Proficient with Microsoft Office including Power Point and Excel.
- Proven communication skills.
- Proven project management skills.
- Understanding of organizational systems and structure.
- Excellent understanding of nursing process.
- Proficient with project management.
- Membership in professional organization.
- Management of healthcare students.
- Alignment and negotiation of clinical placements with area colleges
Essential Job Specific Responsibilities
- Oversees the development, coordination, strategic planning, organization, implementation and evaluation of educational and staff development programs for the Nursing staff, patients and families within the organization.
- Uses needs assessments and evaluation criteria to lead the department in the development of in-service, continuing education and orientation, and professional development programs to promote professional growth and advance clinical practice.
- Develops effective written materials, outlines, handouts, and evaluation tools.
- Coordinates health system activities related to professional and allied health education affiliated programs through scheduling, orientation and liaison functions.
- Enhances acute care and ambulatory nursing orientation programs and collaborates with leadership to identify training solutions that support the mission, values, and strategic imperatives of the organization. Provides evidence based programing to encourage nursing certification status.
- Produces educational calendars showing annual in-services, ACLS and CPR classes, targets for the number of staff in each program and any changes needed because of regulatory issues.
- Collaborates with Human Resources and Nursing in developing policies and procedures.
- Ensures compliance and documentation of organizational records based on regulatory agency standards, responding to corporate and industry changes in clinical development.
- Develops, implements, monitors, evaluates and improves the acute care and ambulatory nursing orientation program, cross training, and educational competencies for clinical staff.
- Functions as change agent within facility through facilitation, mentoring, communication, leadership and implementation activities.
- Represents education and serves as academic relations liaison within the community; develops dedicated strategies for academic and community relations including a partnership with Nurse Recruiter to develop intense college relations programs.
- Conducts evaluation research to determine the effectiveness of professional development programs.
- Measures and evaluates performance outcomes and organizational impact of educational programs for identification of improvement opportunities.
- Supervises and mentors education staff for provision of quality programming.
- Prepares periodic reports for administration depicting education assessment of organization, and the strategic plans to address, implement and measure the components of the plan based on the assessment findings.
- Ensures the maintenance of BRN provider data.
- Organizes advertising and marketing strategies related to educational activities.
- Plans, organizes, implements education training programs and evaluates for staff based on needs assessments from departments and other requests.
- Ensures use of effective teaching skills through variety of instructional methods/styles focusing on the educational needs of each audience, including age, and is sensitive to the needs and reactions of learners.
- Develops annual budget in conjunction with senior leadership to ensure the appropriate efficiency, productivity, and sufficient resources to meet projected department needs.
- Coordinates and integrates all educational services within the inpatient and outpatient divisions for staff working collaboratively with leadership, physicians, medical educational staff and other clinical staff. Collaborates with Medical Education to provide interprofessional clinical education.
- Maintains and coordinates assigned procedures, projects and systems related to Joint Commission and other regulatory bodies.
- Develops and Leads the Eisenhower Health Leadership Academy.
- Keeps up to date with the requirements of a magnet organization from a professional practice perspective.
- Acts as clinical expert and role model within Nursing Service.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Management & Supervision
8 Hour Shift
Rancho Mirage, CA 92270