Let’s explore nursing specialties RNs can pursue after gaining a few years of work experience. As you advance in your career, there will be fields of study that drive your passion to deliver outstanding patient care. One of the fastest-growing specialties is cardiac nursing .
A registered nurse in the Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory (shortened as Cardiac Cath Lab) assists cardiologists during the entire catheterization process. They prepare the patient before and after the procedure to stabilize their health status. The type of patients they’ll work with have heart diseases or ailments that require constant monitoring.
Read on to learn more about a Cardiac Cath Lab Nurse’s role and responsibilities in a health care setting and apply to open California nursing positions at Eisenhower Health.
What is the role of a RN in the Cardiac Cath Lab?
For complex procedures, cardiovascular technologists assist doctors with stent implants, cardiac pacemakers and defibrillators and other tests to diagnose heart disease. Their day-to-day tasks include reviewing patient documents, maintaining and operating facility equipment, monitoring patient health status and scheduling appointments to follow the health plan. Additionally, Cardiac Cath Lab Nurses are usually the first to respond if someone is experiencing a heart attack.
The Cardiac Cath Lab is an essential part of a health care facility. Their imagery equipment provides a detailed look at a patient’s arteries in the heart to ensure there is adequate blood flow throughout the body. Additionally, this technology can identify blockages and arterial damage that can require higher level medical attention like surgery.
Let’s examine the educational requirements to become a Cardiac Cath Lab Nurse in California.
What are the Educational Requirements for a Cardiac Cath Lab Nurse?
Typically, an ADN or BSN is required from an accredited college. Also, candidates must have passed the NCLEX-RN exam. It’s recommended that candidates have work experience shadowing a Cardiologist or working in the Cardiac Cath Lab. This can be achieved through internship or clinical work.
Certification is especially important for this nursing position. Holding an active license in Basic Life Support (BLS) or Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) is highly recommended. Since cardiology is considered a nursing specialty, Cardiac Cath Lab Nurses should consider completing the Cardiac Vascular Nursing Certification. To qualify, RNs must have:
- An active RN license
- A minimum of 2 years of nursing experience
- A minimum of 2,000 clinical practice hours in cardiac-vascular nursing in the last 3 years
- Completed 30 hours of CEU for cardiac-vascular nursing within the last 3 years
Additional credentials may be required, depending on the employer. The complete list of educational requirements for a Cardiac Cath Lab Nurse are:
- ADN or BSN
- Active nursing license in the practicing state
- BLS/ACLS certification
- Work experience caring for patients with cardiovascular conditions
- Cardiac Vascular Nursing Certification
Cardiac Cath Lab Nurse Job Responsibilities
Working with patients in critical condition requires a high level of reliability and mobility. Cardiac Cath Lab Nurses must be well-versed in medical terminology and simplify medical jargon to help patients understand their condition and treatments. Additionally, machinery must be meticulously maintained to perform at maximum efficiency. While different specialties require a specific set of job responsibilities, you can expect to perform these tasks day-to-day:
- Assesses, utilizing age specific data, the patient’s physical, psychosocial, and spiritual status in a comprehensive manner.
- Performs initial assessment and completes required documentation within organizational standards.
- Performs and documents ongoing assessments including observation, physical examination, laboratory/test results, and patient response to procedural intervention.
- Participates in the identification and clarification of patient needs, as evidenced by participation in multidisciplinary care planning, to achieve optimal patient outcomes.
- Reviews and revises plan of care according to change in patient’s status.
- Assists other staff in the delivery of patient care, as appropriate.
- Incorporates patient teaching/discharge planning to promote optimal patient outcomes.
- Coordinates and documents appropriate discharge planning and referrals to ensure continuity of care after discharge.
Available Cardiac Cath Lab Nurse Jobs in California
Jumpstart your career in California at Eisenhower Health. Our world-class medical facility ranks among the Top 50 Cardiovascular Hospitals in the nation. All of the recognition goes to our multidisciplinary team of physicians, surgeons, nurses and other health care professionals who are dedicated to delivering outstanding care to our patients. If you’re interested in a Cardiac Cath Lab Nurse Job in California, apply to our available job posting via this direct link: https://careers.eisenhowerhealth.org/jobs/registered-nurse-rn-cardiac-cath-lab/
 Gwynedd Mercy University (n.d). Types of Nursing Specialties: 20 Fast-Growing Nursing Fields
Originally posted on 22/11/2021